The project included the supply and installation of structural steelwork, off site application of Intumescent paint to achieve 90 and 120 minutes protection, and supply and installation of temporary edge protection. The structure, located in central London, on the busy Bank tube station junction, involved the demolition of approximately 50% of the existing 1990’s concrete structure from roof level to ground level.
The demolished areas were then replaced with new steel and decking floors, connected back to the existing concrete frame. Part of the scope of works also included the refurbishment of the original 1920’s grade II listed building, these works included installing new steelwork to 9 levels from the basement up to level 7, all working within the constraints of the existing building. All steelwork had to be unloaded, positioned and installed by hand.
Once the new column had been installed full height, and temporarily tied, the new steelwork was installed from the top level down, removing existing steelwork in conjunction with the installation works.